With all the hoopla surrounding this year's class of Georgia Military Academy transfers, a former…
USC Preseason Football Practice Report
* Coach Holtz said that Mrs. Holtz had started feeling better the last month or so, after having struggled some this summer. "The previous reports we had received had us concerned," said Coach Holtz. "One of the nodules on her lung had decreased in size. My wife attributes her good news to faith in God, proper medicine and exercise. She looks great and feels much better."
* Coach Holtz then turned his attention towards the 2003 edition of the Gamecock football team. "I wish our fans would direct their prayers and thoughts to our football team with an equal amount of devotion," quipped Holtz. "That may take an even greater miracle."
* Coach Holtz noted that the two freshmen tailbacks - Demetris Summers and Cory Boyd -- were really starting to showcase their talents. "I've been impressed with both of them," said Holtz. "Our running backs are playing much better without the football. I must compliment Coach (Jimmy) Satterfield and his staff at Lexington High School for the job they did with Demetris Summers."
* Coach Holtz said that another freshman, Syvelle Newton, was also making a bid for playing time. "Syvelle came to me after practice Wednesday and asked if he could be moved to receiver," said Coach Holtz. "He's going to be a quarterback, but he didn't want to redshirt this year. So, we'll take a look at him at receiver. He is a talent. He still will throw with the quarterbacks after practice, because unless he is going to be a first round draft pick at receiver, which he very well could be, I still think he can be an outstanding quarterback."
* Injury update: Tight end Andy Boyd (knee) is likely to have surgery later this month and could miss the entire season; OL Chris White is still out with a neck strain; DT Brandon Schweitzer is improving, but is still out with a knee sprain; DT Randy Jackson had problems with the heat Thursday afternoon; WR Taqiy Muhammad had an asthma attack towards the end of practice and was treated in the training room; DB Andrea Gause was held from practice with a migraine headache. Head athletics trainer Rod Walters said Thursday afternoon's practice was the hottest thus far during preseason camp.
* Coach Holtz said that the four junior college newcomers - OL Woodly Telfort, DT Freddy Saint-Preux; DE Charles Silas; and LB De'Adrian Coley were all having a good camp and should be contributors this fall. Coach Holtz said that Coley reminded him of Shannon Wadley, who started for the Gamecocks three seasons ago at linebacker before getting injured.
* Friday's schedule: Defensive coordinator Chris Cosh will be available to the media following the morning workout at approximately 12 noon outside the players entrance of the stadium (not in the press room). Requested players will also be available in that area between 12 noon and 12:45 p.m. Both practices are closed on Friday.
GamecockPride.com Recommended Stories
Dr. Roto Video: Waiver Wire Wednesday
Dr. Roto believes Miami Dolphins WR Jarvis Landry will overtake WR Brian Hartline as the team's No. 2 receiver sooner rather than later. Stay ahead of the curve with Dr. Roto!Read More
Giants Strike First In Game One Rout
The San Francisco Giants came out swinging in Game One of the 2014 World Series, scoring three times in the first inning and never looking back.Read More
Three of earth’s best ingredients combined into one succulent strip. Tailgaters will bow in appreciation.Read More
National Anthem Played with a Gun!
Musical targets? Yes, this guy plays the national anthem while shooting musical targets.Read More
Late Season Eastern Steel
NAFC friend, Frank Scalish, is best known for his achievements as a professional bass fisherman, but when the weather cools, the tourneys are over and the last bass has been weighed, he dons waders,…Read More