With all the hoopla surrounding this year's class of Georgia Military Academy transfers, a former…
USC Preseason Football Practice Report
* Coach Holtz said that Mrs. Holtz had started feeling better the last month or so, after having struggled some this summer. "The previous reports we had received had us concerned," said Coach Holtz. "One of the nodules on her lung had decreased in size. My wife attributes her good news to faith in God, proper medicine and exercise. She looks great and feels much better."
* Coach Holtz then turned his attention towards the 2003 edition of the Gamecock football team. "I wish our fans would direct their prayers and thoughts to our football team with an equal amount of devotion," quipped Holtz. "That may take an even greater miracle."
* Coach Holtz noted that the two freshmen tailbacks - Demetris Summers and Cory Boyd -- were really starting to showcase their talents. "I've been impressed with both of them," said Holtz. "Our running backs are playing much better without the football. I must compliment Coach (Jimmy) Satterfield and his staff at Lexington High School for the job they did with Demetris Summers."
* Coach Holtz said that another freshman, Syvelle Newton, was also making a bid for playing time. "Syvelle came to me after practice Wednesday and asked if he could be moved to receiver," said Coach Holtz. "He's going to be a quarterback, but he didn't want to redshirt this year. So, we'll take a look at him at receiver. He is a talent. He still will throw with the quarterbacks after practice, because unless he is going to be a first round draft pick at receiver, which he very well could be, I still think he can be an outstanding quarterback."
* Injury update: Tight end Andy Boyd (knee) is likely to have surgery later this month and could miss the entire season; OL Chris White is still out with a neck strain; DT Brandon Schweitzer is improving, but is still out with a knee sprain; DT Randy Jackson had problems with the heat Thursday afternoon; WR Taqiy Muhammad had an asthma attack towards the end of practice and was treated in the training room; DB Andrea Gause was held from practice with a migraine headache. Head athletics trainer Rod Walters said Thursday afternoon's practice was the hottest thus far during preseason camp.
* Coach Holtz said that the four junior college newcomers - OL Woodly Telfort, DT Freddy Saint-Preux; DE Charles Silas; and LB De'Adrian Coley were all having a good camp and should be contributors this fall. Coach Holtz said that Coley reminded him of Shannon Wadley, who started for the Gamecocks three seasons ago at linebacker before getting injured.
* Friday's schedule: Defensive coordinator Chris Cosh will be available to the media following the morning workout at approximately 12 noon outside the players entrance of the stadium (not in the press room). Requested players will also be available in that area between 12 noon and 12:45 p.m. Both practices are closed on Friday.
GamecockPride.com Recommended Stories
Week 8: Super Sleepers
Every week, Fantasy Football Expert Jeb Gorham digs in his list of rankings to find the best sleepers for deeper formats. Consider giving these players a chance, but be aware of the risk! Tampa Bay…Read More
Watch: Sailfish Goes Psycho!
Check out this classic video of Dan Larson battling an acrobatic sailfish on a trip to the world-famous Tropic Star Lodge in Panama.Read More
BOMBS AWAY: ISIS BEFORE AND AFTER AIRSTRIKE
Photographer Bulent Kilic captured these amazing images of ISIS members who were on the very wrong end of an allied bombing in Turkey.Read More
TBT: Pumpkin Carving With A Handgun
While many hunters are focused on pursuing big game in late October, it’s also time to make sure you’re ready for Halloween, and specifically trick-or-treaters. In this throwback Thursday video,…Read More
Sullivan weighs seriousness of concussions
John Sullivan has suffered five concussions in his seven-year career, but he doesn’t believe his future is “in doubt.” He weighs the severity of the concussions against the number of them.Read More