Careers & Jobs
Real Estate & Rentals
Full MSN Index
Tuesday 12 August Practice Report
USC Sports Information
Posted Aug 12, 2003
- South Carolina went through its first controlled preseason football scrimmage Tuesday afternoon, running approximately 100 plays at Williams-Brice Stadium. The defense had its way in the first half of the scrimmage, while the offense picked things up and had the upper hand the second half of the scrimmage. Here are some highlights from today's action ...
* Touchdowns were scored by freshman quarterback Syvelle Newton, who scampered 70 yards on a designed run play and by junior wide receiver Taqiy Muhammad, who was on the receiving end of a 32-yard scoring pass from Dondrial Pinkins. On Newton's long run, the youngster from Marlboro County kicked it into another gear to outrun the Gamecock defense.
* Freshmen tailbacks Demetris Summers and Cory Boyd also had their bright moments. Summers ripped off two runs of 18 and 17 yards, respectively, nearly breaking both for even longer gains. Boyd caught a screen pass from Mike Rathe and turned it into a 47-yard gain.
* Rathe did throw two interceptions, as defensive end James Scott jumped across the middle to pick off the first and safety Corey Peoples had the second pick. * Defensive end Eric Stroman recovered a fumble, while Scott and Stroman combined for a quarterback sack.
* Tight end Hart Turner was also utilized effectively. The senior from Spartanburg had receptions of 14 and 24 yards from Pinkins. Troy Williamson had a long reception of 45 yards thrown by Pinkins.
* Senior Daniel Weaver misfired on a 24-yard field goal, while freshman Stephen Stellfox connected on a 32-yard field goal.
* Injury update: two players suffered mild injuries during the scrimmage - DT Stanley Doughty (shoulder) and CB Isaac Stackhouse (shoulder). Other injuries to report include: WR Aryel Freeman (broken forearm, will be re-evaluated in three weeks); LB Lance Laury (knee); OL Kris Mick (wrist surgery); OL Chris White (neck strain); DT Brandon Schweitzer (knee sprain).
* Following dinner, the team was scheduled to go see the movie "Sea Biscuit." * Here are some post-practice comments from head coach Lou Holtz: " It was a 100-play scrimmage but it felt like four scrimmages. At times early on, the offense couldn't get to the line of scrimmage. I wasn't particularly pleased with the play of the quarterbacks, but Syvelle Newton did some nice things. He is a very talented youngster. Kenny Irons, Demetris Summers and Cory Boyd all ran well. Demetris has excellent vision. The defense gave up too many big plays at the end. I thought Jamacia Jackson and Rodriques Wilson did some nice things at safety. Our receivers did not play up to their potential. The offense finally got into a rhythm the last three series and the defense couldn't stop them. The third team defense was actually more effective than the first team defense at times. This will allow us to get something on film, study it and evaluate personnel. Each player was in on at least 30 plays. Skip (Holtz) took Travelle Wharton and Hart Turner out of the offensive lineup early on and there was no leadership after that. He put them back in at the end and they helped pick things up. We've put everything in, both offensively and defensively. I thought Ricardo Hurley played pretty well at linebacker, maybe as well as I've seen him play since he's been here."
USC Goes Through First Day of True Two-a-Days
Aug 11, 2003
8/16 USC Preseason Football Practice Report
Aug 16, 2003
Rooster Report: A Few Other Notes Of Interest
Aug 16, 2003
2014 Scout.com Recruiting Yearbook
with an annual Total Access Pass
Free Email Newsletter
Don't miss any news or features from GamecockPride.com. Subscribe to our newsletter to have our newest articles emailed to you on a daily or weekly basis.
Click here for a
list of all Team Newsletters
Add Players to My HotList
Get free email alerts with news about your favorite players. Click name to add to
View My HotList
Add Topics to My HotList
Get free email alerts with news about your favorite topics. Click link to add to
Football > Lower Richland HS > Alumni
Football > Silver Bluff HS > Alumni
View My HotList
Copyright © 2014 Scout.com.
All rights reserved.
Terms of Service
Junior College Football
Advertise on MSN
About our ads
© 2014 Microsoft