Search this site
Junior College Football
South Carolina Home
Saturday an eventful day for Gamecock football
USC Sports Information
Posted Aug 9, 2003
Saturday was an eventful day for the South Carolina football program. Beginning with the Lou Holtz Chick-fil-A Charity 5K Run at 7:45 a.m. to team meetings, to a physical 2.5 hour workout in full pads, the Gamecocks were busy ...
* More than 1,200 runners and walkers participated in the 2nd annual
Chick-fil-A Charity 5K Run Saturday morning. Coach Lou Holtz welcomed the group and started the race by firing the starter's pistol. Many of the USC coaches ran, including offensive coordinator
, wide receivers coach Charlie Williams, quarterbacks coach Todd Fitch and defensive ends coach Jappy Oliver. While Skip was the first of that group to finish, he couldn't beat his brother, Kevin, who finished ahead of Skip despite pushing his daughter in a jogger stroller the entire race. Beth Holtz, Lou's wife, walked in the race, as did Jennifer Holtz (Skip's wife) and Penny Roberts (wife of running backs coach
* Saturday was the first day of full pads for the Gamecocks and there was plenty of hitting. In the "
" drill, where a defensive player attempts to shed an offensive player's block and get to the ball carrier, strong performances were turned in by defensive tackles
and Freddy Saint-Preux, ends
, and safeties Rod Wilson and
. On offense, tackle
* There was one injury to report. Defensive end
sprained his knee. He will be re-evaluated on Sunday. Tailback
(ankle) and wide receiver
(ankle) practiced on a limited basis.
* After the practice, head coach Lou Holtz met with the media. Here are some of his comments: "To make steel, you have to go through fire first, and that's what we're trying to do. We cannot keep making the same mental mistakes. We have really improved our fundamentals in the one-on-one drills, but we've got to carry that over to the team drills in order to become a good football team.
(tailback) may be the most improved player on this team as far as playing without the football. He has really come on. We've got to do a better job of rolling our hips when exploding off of blocks. I haven't even entertained the thought of moving
from quarterback to another position. He is a talented athlete who plays quarterback. It takes time to develop a quarterback and it will take time for him to develop. But, he's very talented."
* Sunday's schedule: Early morning church service for the players, followed by a walk-through in the indoor practice facility (no head gear). The team will practice in the afternoon (closed practice).
Irons On A Mission: Prepared To Forge Ahead
Aug 9, 2003
Gamecocks Host Annual Media And Photo Day
Aug 8, 2003
USC Continues Fall Practice - Two-A-Days On Monday
Aug 10, 2003
2014 Scout.com Recruiting Yearbook
with an annual Total Access Pass
Free Email Newsletter
Don't miss any news or features from GamecockPride.com. Subscribe to our newsletter to have our newest articles emailed to you on a daily or weekly basis.
Click here for a
list of all Team Newsletters
Places to go:
Junior College Football
Things to do:
Things to buy:
Things to know:
Terms of Service
Advertise on MSN
About our ads
© 2013 Microsoft