* Stanley Doughty, a 6-2, 315-pound freshman lineman from Greensburg, La., did not report Monday as he is still awaiting official word from the NCAA Clearinghouse. Tray Rogers, an incoming freshman from Irmo, S.C., and the son of former Gamecock Heisman Trophy winner George Rogers, also did not report. Rogers failed his physical examination last week when the Gamecock medical staff discovered a pre-existing spinal column condition which will prevent him from participating. The remainder of the newcomers who were expected to report did and have been cleared academically.
* The freshmen came in from as nearby as Lexington, S.C., (Demetris Summers) to as far away as Toronto, Canada (Robert Pavlovic). The newcomers moved into the dorm during the noon hour, had their photographs taken by Sports Information, and were measured for their game day sport coat, shirt and trousers. Rosanda Pavlovic (mother), Denis Pavlovic (brother) and Yvonne Pavlovic (sister-in-law) made the trip down south with Robert. "We can't get over how hot it is here," said Yvonne. "Everyone here has been so friendly and we know that Robert is going to have a good support system."
* Coach Holtz said that freshman defensive back Ko Simpson from Rock Hill would enroll at USC in January. He also said that Matthew Thomas, a junior wide receiver from Pearson, Ga., has had his suspension lifted. Thomas had been suspended since last spring after he was charged with simple assault. He completed the necessary conditions set forth through the PreTrial Intervention program and had been cleared through the proper channels at the University. Coach Holtz stated that there would be additional disciplinary action taken within the framework of the team.
* Defensive lineman Chris Tucker (foot) and wide receiver Mikal Goodman (chest) will be limited at the outset of practice. Tucker is not expected to be ready to practice for at least two weeks.
* When asked about having the entire varsity squad report at the same time this year, Coach Holtz said: "There are some things that you would like to address with just the freshmen," said Holtz. "Things are going to be different for some of them. They will need to persevere. Like I will tell them tonight, they will have to become us; we are not going to become them."
* Coach Holtz noted that nine specialists were among the 105 who will dress out on Tuesday. "I think that's too many specialists to have on your squad," said Holtz. "But, we need some immediate help there. We didn't bring anyone in that we didn't think could help us win."
* The first varsity practice is Tuesday at 3:10 p.m. at the practice fields on Bluff Road. The first 30 minutes of individual practice are open to the media. Coach Holtz and requested players will be available following practice at approximately 6:20 p.m. - Coach Holtz in the media room behind the lobby of the football building and players outside the locker room (southwest entrance of the stadium).
Here is a list of the newcomers who reported on Monday:
* Cody Wells, 5-11, 195, Fr., DB, Summerfield, Fla.
* Dan Beardall, 6-1, 190, Jr., P, American Fork, Utah (Snow Junior College)
* Syvelle Newton, 6-2, 208, Fr., QB, Wallace, S.C.
* Blake Mitchell, 6-4, 197, Fr., QB, LaGrange, Ga.
* Travis Lee, 6-1, 185, Fr., WR, Shelby, N.C.
* William Brown, 6-5, 270, Fr., OL, Boonville, N.C.
* Josh Johnson, 6-5, 225, Fr., DE, Tampa, Fla.
* Woodly Telfort, 6-7, 310, Jr., OL, Miami, Fla. (Dodge City CC)
* Derrick Harper, 6-2, 185, Fr., WR, Montclair, N.J.
* Robert Pavlovic, 6-6, 235, Fr., TE, Toronto, Canada
* Ty Erving, 6-0, 194, Fr., DB, Batesburg-Leesville, S.C.
* Freddy Saint-Preux, 6-5, 305, Jr., DT, Brooklyn, N.Y. (Dodge City CC)
* Chris Windham, 6-1, 150, Fr., P, Lamar, S.C.
* Stephen Stellfox, 6-3, 180, Fr., PK, Chapin, S.C.
* Trey Ernandez, 6-1, 270, Fr., C, Rock Hill, S.C.
* David Laggis, 6-5, 240, Fr., TE, Conyers, Ga.
* Ike Crofoot, 6-2, 185, Fr., QB/WR, Orlando, Fla.
* Demetris Summers, 6-1, 208. Fr., RB, Lexington, S.C.
* Charles Silas, 6-6, 265, Jr., DE, Swainsboro, Ga. (Georgia Military College)
* De'Adrian Coley, 6-3, 248, Jr., LB, Georgetown, S.C. (Georgia Military College)
* Noah Whiteside, 6-0, 170, Fr., WR, Greenville, S.C.
* David Smith, 6-3, 194, Fr., WR, Union, S.C.
* Cory Boyd, 6-2, 197, Fr., RB, Orange, N.J.
* Ryan Brown, 6-2, 240, Fr., LB, Moncks Corner, S.C.